Gail Davis, 10 December 2012
Simon Sinek is currently a very popular speaker. I love his main concept: “Know Your Why.”
I have known my “why” since day one of establishing GDA. I love the feeling of working with great speakers who have the ability to change the world. It is a lofty “why” but it’s what drives me nonetheless.
When I met Nando Parrado, it was the beginning of that “why.” I founded GDA based on a commitment to share his story with the world. He was our first speaker. From his New York Times bestseller, Miracle in the Andes, to the recent History Channel documentary, “I Am Alive,” to the audiences he addresses, his story is incomparable.
Gail Davis, 15 November 2012
If you missed the last blog, click here to read part one of "Don't Wait." I listed the reasons why you don't want to wait to book your speaker - from fee increases to travel issues, I’ve covered it all.
First choice, availability and budget are usually the initial criteria to cross off the list when choosing a speaker. Now, are you ready to pitch your speaker options to your leadership team or committee?
Now is the time to get started - don't wait until the holidays pass you by to line up your strategy and key decision criteria.
In my experience of dealing with the "C" level decision maker (CEO, COO, Chief Sales, etc.) or high level committees, I have found it is best to give fewer options. Make a short list of options you are passionately prepared to discuss. It is always easier to go back and widen the search net. Once you let the suggestions get into a “free for all” it’s easy to lose control of the process.
Gail Davis, 19 September 2012
Tick Tock! Beat the clock! Don't get caught in the speaker scramble!
You know the situation: You’ve known for months, maybe even a year, you need to start your speaker search. You have a dream list of possibilities.... the budget gets changed … the leadership changes. You know the slippery slope and I get it.
From my experience “on the other side,” I know the thinking. Why engage my leadership or committee before they really need to be concerned? It’s valid. However, don’t become a victim of waiting! Why?
You don’t want to lose your first option. It has happened several times in the past week at our office; clients have missed out on their first option. The speaking business is thriving, which means calendars are booking up much faster than in the past few years. The early bird gets the worm! No one wants to headline their event with their second choice.
Gail Davis, 24 August 2012
Season Two of “Addicted” will premiere Tuesday, August 28, 2012 on Discovery Fit and Health at 10pm/9c, and I am asked each day how I am feeling about the day approaching.
Being a part of an award winning TV show was never on my radar, not planned or even dreamed about. Nineteen years ago, I was hopelessly addicted, homeless, hungry, cold and in despair, wanting to die every second I was alive. Finding recovery at 21 years old, I slowly rebuilt my life, healing my spirit, facing the viscous and haunting memories of the street. I made amends and peace with the people I harmed and began to walk into a future that was uncertain and with sobriety, wide open.
Gail Davis, 23 April 2012
It is my honor to write the first guest blog for GDA . It seems fitting since I was the first speaker at GDA.
I had the pleasure of attending several events with GDA this week. A fundraiser, the Open house this week to showcase their new offices, and the reason for my trip to Texas, my keynote at an Entrepreneur Organization (EO) meeting. I have so many memories of GDA over the years.
It was wonderful to be there with Gail and the members of her team, past and present, at the open house. I marveled at what Gail has done to create such a professional organization.
Gail Davis, 03 March 2012
By Gail Davis
Years ago Julie O’Keefe in my office stumbled upon an unknown young speaker named Rory Vaden. He had won the Toastmaster award and she was impressed with his authenticity and passionate speaking style.
She was so impressed that she reached out to introduce herself. For those of you in the business, you know that is a rare step. Rory committed to Julie that he would come meet our team.
Little did we know he had another reason to come to Dallas. Rory had decided he wanted to write a New York Times bestselling novel. He had gone to a book store and studied the books he liked. He quickly spotted a trend in the acknowledgments. The authors kept thanking their literary agent Jan Miller who is based in Dallas.
Rory decided Jan was his ticket to the New York Times list. He sent her a proposal, he called her, and he had not yet received a response. So he decided to fly to Dallas to meet Jan and Julie … .literary agent and speaking agent.
- 2021: To Smoother Roads Ahead
- GDA Client Portal
- Virtual Events are Fun, Engaging and on the Rise.
- Case Study: "Quarantine...let's binge watch our meeting"
- When will large and in-person events make a comeback?
- Case Study: "Virtual Made it Possible"
- You need a good moderator/host for your event. Here's why.
- How are fees being adjusted for virtual appearances?
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 8: Staying Tech Savvy
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 7: IASB and EO
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 6: Gratitude
- Look Who's 20!
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 5: New Discoveries
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 4: The Big Move...the Rebrand
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 3: Growing Pains and Gains
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 2: Turning Points
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 1
- 18th Anniversary Celebration - Founder's Talk
- GDA Podcast Recap | Nando Parrado Episode 7
- GDA Podcast Recap | Richard Resnick Episode 6
- GDA Podcast Recap | Dr. Michael "Misha" Auslin Episode 5
- GDA Podcast Recap | Herb Meyer Episode 4
- GDA Podcast Recap | David Polinchock Episode 3
- GDA Podcast Recap | Jim Carrol Episode 2
- GDA Podcast Recap | Jeff Kirschner Episode 1
- The Story of the GDA Podcast
- The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same: 30 Years Of Perspective
- An Inspirational Story of Perseverance
- Less Is More
- Six Speakers, Six Days, Three Cities….. Impressions.
- The Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Top “Plan B” Questions When Bad Weather Strikes
- Business Advice From a Veteran
- Top A-Team Traits That Deliver Successful Results
- Setting Your Moral Compass
- Don’t Drop the Ball on Introductions
- A Role Model for Those Who Stay, Leave and Everyone Else
- Secret Weapons
- Celebrating 15 Years With HR Houston
- A Unique Speaker You Need
- Rex Lewis-Clack: Class of 2013- A Guest Blog from Cathleen Lewis
- A Magical Event
- The Impact of a TED Talk- A Guest Blog From Leslie Morgan Steiner
- The Day That Changed Our Lives- A Guest Blog From Steve Palermo
- Everyone Should Book John O'Leary
- Eric Saperston is Another Gift
- Create an Oscar Award Winning Event with Eric Maddox
- Cruising into 2013
- Hope for the Holidays
- Don't Wait to Book Your Speakers Part 2
- Don't Wait to Book Your Speakers
- A Guest Blog From Kristina Wandzilak
- A Guest Blog from Nando Parrado
- Do You Take the Stairs?
- Dr. Gary Chapman Brings the Love to Our Office
- DON'T HIRE MOVERS!
- Designing Women
- TEDxSMU - What a day!
- The End of the Up Experience Didn’t Leave Me Down
- Up, Up, Up. The Up Experience Part 3
- Round 2 of the Up Experience
- The Up Experience, Truly Uplifting
- A First Class Event
- An Audience with the Dalai Lama
- The Best Email Tip I've Ever Heard
- Don't Just Book a Speaker, Create a Revolution
- Kids of the Suburbs Take Note
- Visiting Their Cells Emotional. Energy.
- Sex, Mentors and Thank You ... An unexpected sort of day.
- Powerful. The only word for today.
- The Give Back Tour Begins
- Andre Norman and Giving Back
- Energy and Synergy with Ankit Fadia
- Momentum, Passion and Transformation
- An Epic Trip
- Tom Martinez- A Story of Hate, A Message of Hope
- Kids and Speakers
- Live From New York
- Customer Service: Going Above and Beyond
- In Remembrance of Randy Snow
- A Sense of Connection
- Event Wisdom: Simple things that make a difference
- International Events
- A CEO Who Gets It!!!
- Celebrating 10 Years of Inspiration
- Domestic Violence
- Milestones and Celebrations
- Meeting...No meeting? Speaker...No speaker? What's a planner to do?
- It Was No Coincidence
- Let's Get Healthy with Todd Whitthorne and Gail's Tips for Healthy Meetings
- Nando, Sonia, Tim and 2008
- Timing is Everything ... and Steve Forbes, too.
- Rex Lewis-Clack and Cathleen Lewis