Gail Davis, 16 December 2008
Just yesterday, Nando Parrado addressed one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. And he did it in Portuguese.
I’m constantly amazed at the talents of our speakers, but more than that, the opportunity they have (and we by way of working with them) to tell their stories and touch lives around the world.
When I look at it that way, 2008 was a banner year for touching lives. And I was privileged to be in the audience for many of those moments.
For example, a complex issue like immigration can be polarizing, but Sonia Nazario puts a human face on the topic. I was lucky to work with her earlier this year.
As a Pulitzer Prize winning author and former Los Angeles Times columnist, she knows about immigration. She made the trek from South America to the U.S. on top of a train in order to understand the odyssey of young children trying to get to their mothers. Her presentation is full of facts, awesome photography of griping images, and the complete backstory to go with it.
Of course, the client made a lot of great decisions that were perfect for her presentation. The venue was an old rail station and the typical floral arrangements were replaced with cars from an antique train set.
Gail Davis, 05 December 2008
I received word on Friday afternoon that Rex Lewis-Clack and his mother, Cathleen Lewis, would not be appearing on 60 Minutes. Rather, this week’s program would feature President-Elect Obama. Disappointing, but completely appropriate.
As a 60 Minutes junkie, I tuned in to watch. It was a great conversation between Steve Kroft and the Obamas. An excerpt below gives you the flavor:
STEVE KROFT: Have there been moments when you've said, ‘What did I get myself into?’
BARACK OBAMA: I will say that the challenges that we're confronting are enormous. And they're multiple. And so there are times during the course of a given a day where you think, "Where do I start in terms of moving-- moving things forward?" And I think that part of this next two months is to really get a clear set of priorities, understanding we're not going be able to do everything at once, making sure the team is in place, and moving forward in a very deliberate way and sending a clear signal to the American people that we're going to be thinking about them and what they're going through.
No matter what business you're in - running a country or running a corporation - everyone is setting priorities for 2009.
I give a presentation to industry groups and clients on the strategies and tactics for selecting a keynote speaker. One of the top priorities: trying to anticipate what will be the current event when your event occurs.
Gail Davis, 29 October 2008
I had the most incredible experience last week in Lake Tahoe. It was one of those moments a vision came to fruition.
But let me take a few steps back. The best way to appreciate the moment might be to share some background.
As the owner of this incredible company, I have booked speakers all over the world.
In April of 2004, I got a phone call from one of the most successful speakers in the business, Tom Sullivan. He began to tell me about Cathleen Lewis.
Cathleen sounded like an incredible woman in her own rite – a Stanford graduate, who moved to Paris where she lived and worked for many years, first in fashion as a model, and then in finance running a currency options trading desk.
But, none of what she had learned in those challenging, fast paced worlds could prepare her for the emotional and physical upheaval that followed her son, Rex's birth and the discovery that he was blind.
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 7: IASB and EO
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 6: Gratitude
- Look Who's 20!
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 5: New Discoveries
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 4: The Big Move...the Rebrand
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 3: Growing Pains and Gains
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 2: Turning Points
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 1
- 18th Anniversary Celebration - Founder's Talk
- GDA Podcast Recap | Nando Parrado Episode 7
- GDA Podcast Recap | Richard Resnick Episode 6
- GDA Podcast Recap | Dr. Michael "Misha" Auslin Episode 5
- GDA Podcast Recap | Herb Meyer Episode 4
- GDA Podcast Recap | David Polinchock Episode 3
- GDA Podcast Recap | Jim Carrol Episode 2
- GDA Podcast Recap | Jeff Kirschner Episode 1
- The Story of the GDA Podcast
- The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same: 30 Years Of Perspective
- An Inspirational Story of Perseverance
- Less Is More
- Six Speakers, Six Days, Three Cities….. Impressions.
- The Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Top “Plan B” Questions When Bad Weather Strikes
- Business Advice From a Veteran
- Top A-Team Traits That Deliver Successful Results
- Setting Your Moral Compass
- Don’t Drop the Ball on Introductions
- A Role Model for Those Who Stay, Leave and Everyone Else
- Secret Weapons
- Celebrating 15 Years With HR Houston
- A Unique Speaker You Need
- Rex Lewis-Clack: Class of 2013- A Guest Blog from Cathleen Lewis
- A Magical Event
- The Impact of a TED Talk- A Guest Blog From Leslie Morgan Steiner
- The Day That Changed Our Lives- A Guest Blog From Steve Palermo
- Everyone Should Book John O'Leary
- Eric Saperston is Another Gift
- Create an Oscar Award Winning Event with Eric Maddox
- Cruising into 2013
- Hope for the Holidays
- Don't Wait to Book Your Speakers Part 2
- Don't Wait to Book Your Speakers
- A Guest Blog From Kristina Wandzilak
- A Guest Blog from Nando Parrado
- Do You Take the Stairs?
- Dr. Gary Chapman Brings the Love to Our Office
- DON'T HIRE MOVERS!
- Designing Women
- TEDxSMU - What a day!
- The End of the Up Experience Didn’t Leave Me Down
- Up, Up, Up. The Up Experience Part 3
- Round 2 of the Up Experience
- The Up Experience, Truly Uplifting
- A First Class Event
- An Audience with the Dalai Lama
- The Best Email Tip I've Ever Heard
- Don't Just Book a Speaker, Create a Revolution
- Kids of the Suburbs Take Note
- Visiting Their Cells Emotional. Energy.
- Sex, Mentors and Thank You ... An unexpected sort of day.
- Powerful. The only word for today.
- The Give Back Tour Begins
- Andre Norman and Giving Back
- Energy and Synergy with Ankit Fadia
- Momentum, Passion and Transformation
- An Epic Trip
- Tom Martinez- A Story of Hate, A Message of Hope
- Kids and Speakers
- Live From New York
- Customer Service: Going Above and Beyond
- In Remembrance of Randy Snow
- A Sense of Connection
- Event Wisdom: Simple things that make a difference
- International Events
- A CEO Who Gets It!!!
- Celebrating 10 Years of Inspiration
- Domestic Violence
- Milestones and Celebrations
- Meeting...No meeting? Speaker...No speaker? What's a planner to do?
- It Was No Coincidence
- Let's Get Healthy with Todd Whitthorne and Gail's Tips for Healthy Meetings
- Nando, Sonia, Tim and 2008
- Timing is Everything ... and Steve Forbes, too.
- Rex Lewis-Clack and Cathleen Lewis