Gail Davis, 16 December 2011
Christmas is one week away. Where did the year go? What an amazing, exciting year it was … but man, what a whirlwind!
Whirlwind is exactly what I’m looking at right now.
After 16 years in my suburban home, I decided to buy a high rise condominium in Dallas. I was very fortunate to sell my home quickly with the buyers even purchasing everything in it! Literally, every piece of furniture, fixtures, decorations. Everything.
In some ways, moving free from all the trappings of two decades was liberating. Moving from a larger home to a smaller urban space presented a great opportunity to get a new look.
Gail Davis, 05 December 2011
A Saturday during the holidays spent at an all-day speaker event? It was hands down the best decision of many holidays in recent years. Which is why I spent Saturday feeding my mind at TEDxSMU with the newest member of our team, Sarah Leverett.
I did have one important hint. Besides the fact that it was a TED event, I knew that anything Jim and Carole Young are involved in is sure to be a winner. This did not disappoint.
So I headed downtown to the Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre. I’d never been. Honestly, it was my first time on the ground to really understand the Dallas Arts District. I think it is a good thing that I moved from the suburbs. I am surprised daily at the amazing offerings of Dallas. So much has changed in the 20 years I spend in suburbia!
Gail Davis, 10 November 2011
Okay, hokey title. But you get it. The Up Experience lived up to its name.
If this is all new to you, click here and here and here to get caught up on this event and the amazing speakers I was able to see. Almost 20 speakers in one day!
Dr. Brene Brown kicked off the last session with an Alumni update. This is interesting concept. Each year they bring back someone who has spoken at a previous UP and have them give an alumni update. Brene has a wonderful calm, soothing pace…
Gail Davis, 08 November 2011
For the first time, I was able to hear “Chef Jeff” (Jeff Henderson) speak. What an impressive human being. He earned the first standing ovation of the day.
I have always believed that at our core we love the comeback stories. And when you’re sitting the audience actually seeing and hearing a comeback, it’s even better. Chef Jeff turned his life around when he learned to cook in prison. He has published cookbooks and been on national television. His message is simple…. Take control of your life, whether it is your personal life or your work life.
Gail Davis, 04 November 2011
As I explained in my last blog, I had the opportunity to attend the Up Experience in Houston last week. It was a fantastic day full – and I mean very full – of speakers, but it felt like a perfectly performed symphony. I left uplifted and informed and inspired.
The day was broken into segments, four speakers per segment. Each speaker got 20 minutes. Here’s my take on segment 2. (Click here if you want to read about Segment 1.)
The second “Houston Up Close speaker”, Laura Spanjian, kicked off segment two. Laura is the Sustainability Director for the City of Houston. Her passion and commitment to transform Houston into the electric car hub and a true green city were inspiring.
Gail Davis, 02 November 2011
The Up Experience is aptly named. Organizers Ernie and Sheryl Rapp painstakingly create a real experience for each attendee.
Held in suburban Houston, the one-day event could feel like a “fire hose” kind of day. We’ve all been to one day events where you leave exhausted. Not the case with the Up Experience. The pace is perfect – partly due to the string quartet interspersed throughout the day – but mostly due to the format and speaker combination.
Great effort is put into selecting the perfect combination of speakers. The day is broken into four segments. In each segment, four speakers are each given 20 minutes. At the end of the segment, there is a 30-minute break. Attendees can use the break to refresh, check in with the office, or meet with the speaker for a deeper dive. Each speaker is in a smaller gathering area answering questions.
- Why NOW Is The Time For Nando
- Nicole Malachowski: Nobody Wants To Live A Scripted Life
- Ken Schmidt: Standing Out Among The Competition
- Why ESG Matters for Business: Insights from Fortune's Geoff Colvin
- The Message of Hope that Supersedes Media Clickbait
- Adding Value with Emcees & Moderators
- Women Bred, Women Led
- Buyer's Remorse: Signs & Solutions
- Dear Celebrity...
- The Power of Momentum: Insights from Suneel Gupta
- Nando Parrado: Celebrating 50 Years of Influential Impact
- IASB Convention Recap
- Making the Client the Hero: GDA's Client Portal
- Meet Our NEW Gold Star Speaker!
- Meeting & Event Planning Tips
- Speaker Fees: To Negotiate Or Not To Negotiate
- How Speaker Fees Are Like Handbag Shopping
- 23 Years of Unforgettable Experiences
- GDA Polling Feature: Speaker Selection Just Got Easier
- The VIP Experience: Going Out of Style, Or Just on Pause?
- What Flavor Is Your Speaker?
- 2022 Events Forecast
- The Anniversary
- Visualizing and Training for Success
- The Journey Never Ends...Sharing What We Learn Along The Way
- Business Growth Speakers
- The Other F-Word You Don't Want to Hear
- Celebrity Booking Tips
- A Woman Owned Business
- 2021: To Smoother Roads Ahead
- Virtual Events are Fun, Engaging and on the Rise.
- Case Study: "Quarantine...let's binge watch our meeting"
- When will large and in-person events make a comeback?
- Case Study: "Virtual Made it Possible"
- You need a good moderator/host for your event. Here's why.
- How are fees being adjusted for virtual appearances?
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 8: Staying Tech Savvy
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 7: IASB and EO
- Celebrating 20 Years- Part 6: Gratitude
- Look Who's 20!
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 5: New Discoveries
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 4: The Big Move...the Rebrand
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 3: Growing Pains and Gains
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 2: Turning Points
- Celebrating 20 Years - Part 1
- 18th Anniversary Celebration - Founder's Talk
- GDA Podcast Recap | Nando Parrado Episode 7
- GDA Podcast Recap | Richard Resnick Episode 6
- GDA Podcast Recap | Dr. Michael "Misha" Auslin Episode 5
- GDA Podcast Recap | Herb Meyer Episode 4
- GDA Podcast Recap | David Polinchock Episode 3
- GDA Podcast Recap | Jim Carrol Episode 2
- GDA Podcast Recap | Jeff Kirschner Episode 1
- The Story of the GDA Podcast
- The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same: 30 Years Of Perspective
- An Inspirational Story of Perseverance
- Less Is More
- Six Speakers, Six Days, Three Cities….. Impressions.
- The Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Top “Plan B” Questions When Bad Weather Strikes
- Business Advice From a Veteran
- Top A-Team Traits That Deliver Successful Results
- Setting Your Moral Compass
- Don’t Drop the Ball on Introductions
- A Role Model for Those Who Stay, Leave and Everyone Else
- Secret Weapons
- Celebrating 15 Years With HR Houston
- A Unique Speaker You Need
- Rex Lewis-Clack: Class of 2013- A Guest Blog from Cathleen Lewis
- A Magical Event
- The Impact of a TED Talk- A Guest Blog From Leslie Morgan Steiner
- The Day That Changed Our Lives- A Guest Blog From Steve Palermo
- Everyone Should Book John O'Leary
- Eric Saperston is Another Gift
- Create an Oscar Award Winning Event with Eric Maddox
- Cruising into 2013
- Hope for the Holidays
- Don't Wait to Book Your Speakers Part 2
- Don't Wait to Book Your Speakers
- A Guest Blog From Kristina Wandzilak
- A Guest Blog from Nando Parrado
- Do You Take the Stairs?
- Dr. Gary Chapman Brings the Love to Our Office
- DON'T HIRE MOVERS!
- Designing Women
- TEDxSMU - What a day!
- The End of the Up Experience Didn’t Leave Me Down
- Up, Up, Up. The Up Experience Part 3
- Round 2 of the Up Experience
- The Up Experience, Truly Uplifting
- An Audience with the Dalai Lama
- The Best Email Tip I've Ever Heard
- Don't Just Book a Speaker, Create a Revolution
- Kids of the Suburbs Take Note
- Visiting Their Cells Emotional. Energy.
- Sex, Mentors and Thank You ... An unexpected sort of day.
- Powerful. The only word for today.
- The Give Back Tour Begins
- Andre Norman and Giving Back
- Energy and Synergy with Ankit Fadia
- Momentum, Passion and Transformation
- An Epic Trip
- Tom Martinez- A Story of Hate, A Message of Hope
- Kids and Speakers
- Live From New York
- Customer Service: Going Above and Beyond
- In Remembrance of Randy Snow
- A Sense of Connection
- Event Wisdom: Simple things that make a difference
- International Events
- A CEO Who Gets It!!!
- Celebrating 10 Years of Inspiration
- Domestic Violence
- Milestones and Celebrations
- Meeting...No meeting? Speaker...No speaker? What's a planner to do?
- It Was No Coincidence
- Let's Get Healthy with Todd Whitthorne and Gail's Tips for Healthy Meetings
- Nando, Sonia, Tim and 2008
- Timing is Everything ... and Steve Forbes, too.
- Rex Lewis-Clack and Cathleen Lewis