Please contact a GDA agent for information.
- Activism / Philanthropy / Civic Engagement
- Change Management / Organizational Change
- Family / Relationships
- Generational Issues
- Moderator / Facilitator
- Work-life Balance
Click on the topic name to see other speakers tagged with this topic.
Michaela Guzy AwardWinningFilmmaker, Travel+HumanConnectionExpert, RecoveringCorpExec, NYUAdjunctProfessor + TVPersonality
An Inspiring Entrepreneur: Michaela Guzy (pronounced Ma-k-la Guh-zi)
Hi, I’m Michaela Guzy. I’m a self-made, award winning filmmaker, travel + human connection expert and a seasoned TV personality. I’m not an influencer that fell from the sky. Eight years ago, I left my corporate job (VP/Global Travel + Strategic Development for American Express Publishing) to create a content company that focuses on solving for the global cultural shifts to digital (online, social, video) and to create meaningful content, because no else had a solution I believed in. My company, OhThePeopleYouMeet’s editorial focus is on people, places + purposes. Our three exclusive series which I create + curate are:
- "Michaela's Map"our award winning series which has appeared on outlets like American Airlines in-flight and Arianna Huffington's Thrive Global. Stay tuned for our big Season 1 launch in early 2021. My intention in creating this show was to flip the storytelling narrative on it’s head, highlighting our inspiring local hosts and empowering them to tell their own story while I take the role as the trusted curator instead of the “host” because the locals are truly the experts in their hometown + the people you would meet when visiting a destination. Watch our "Michaela's Map" show REEL: https://vimeo.com/382545434
- "InspirationStation": is a new show that we launched in response to COVID and our "new normal". In those early dark days of the pandemic we asked ourselves what were our gifts that we could give back to our global community right now? We already had our online storytelling platforms, all we needed was to connect our global audience to the inspiring people that we knew from all corners of the planet. So in March 2020, we created a new IGTV show (free + accessible to all) called: InspirationStation. As of the 100th episode, the series has over 4million+ views on IGTV. We had to throw out our perfectionism + highly edited pieces and get on-board with people WFH (think screaming kids, dogs and pajamas), minimal editing and producing content quickly. In other words to be relevant right now, we had to be nimble, we had to be real, fast + deliver what our audience turned to us for, inspiration.
- "Sleeping Around (Again) Safely): Since September 9, 2020, I have been traveling across the USA + documenting my experiences of the country reopening to tourism in a video postcard series: "Sleeping Around Again, Safely" on Instagram. The producer of a national morning show in the USA, recently told me that they had a “hesitation to promote travel right now.” I heard the producer out, and almost doubted myself because while our industry has taken a massive hit, that’s not actually been my experience. So I spoke up as an expert who had real world, recent + relevant experience. My philosophy with all the content we create is to teach people how to safely (and sustainably) do so and help navigate to which companies are doing it right in order to hopefully minimize negative impact.
Storytelling for New Media Expert: Since 2012, the OTPYM movement has grown to over 110+ global contributors. I hired to teach storytelling by government organizations like the Ministry of Tourism of Sierra Leone, International Luxury Travel Market to NYU where I am an Adjunct Professor at The School of Professional Studies, my course is called, "Travel Storytelling: Creating Video Content." I also regularly appear on morning news shows across the country to discuss sustainable and immersive travel experiences around the world.
A Trusted Authority on Travel: Michaela speaks about Sustainable, Transformative + Immersive Travel at industry conferences, such as at the New York Times Travel Show, World Travel Market, TBEX North America, ESTO U.S Travel Association, United Nation’s Global Festival of Action, International Luxury Travel Market, Africa Travel Association, Adventure Travel Trade Association and Social Media Week. Up next: on December 8, 2020 I will be giving a keynote presentation, called: "What Do You Do, When There Isn't a Map?" for Tahiti Tourisme - here is a sneak peek to my trends video: https://vimeo.com/ohthepeopleyoumeet/review/482137439/27e13393cc#
In addition to keynote presentations, I curate conversations on topics ranging from new media, storytelling, human connection, social impact, female entrepreneurship and The Millennial Mindset for WeWork, Soho House's IMPACT Series and has guest taught at NYU's Tisch School of Hospitality. Michaela is an advocate for The Blue Movement—connecting people to our oceans, Human Rights and Wildlife Conservation and an advocate against Human Trafficking and Wildlife Poaching. In November 2016, Michaela was selected by WeWork as one of their 40 most promising members in NYC to participate in Goldman Sachs & Babson's 10,000 Small Businesses. Her film on Sierra Leone featuring Dr. Jane Goodall was a featured finalist at both The Wildlife Conservation Film Festival in NYC + World Travel Market's, Under the African Sky for "Most Compelling Sustainable Story."
I contribute to and have been featured in many media outlets from BRAVO, Yahoo, Forbes, National Geographic Traveler, Thrive Global, The Daily Meal, Travel SavvyTV, TripSavvy (formerly About.com), Barclay's Bank Travel, MOD Media’s Highways, Virtuoso Life, Recommend, CTV/AP World News and Conde Nast Traveller. My "Michaela’s Map": Australia series has been featured on American Airlines in-flight entertainment. Michaela consults with Fortune 500 companies, including Chase, Jaguar, Preferred Hotel Group and The Robb Report. To watch some of my recent broadcast appearances, check out my Wikipedia profile or keynotes, check out: https://ohthepeopleyoumeet.com/who-is-michaela-guzy/ + watch my talent reel: https://vimeo.com/352765422
I am proud to be the first advisor to Travel+Social Good, consult The Disability Empowerment Project of Sierra Leone, the Corporate Vice Chair of the Junior Committee for The New York Center for Children, serving on the Host Committee for together1heart.
Pack a bag (and a mask) + journey on with me: @MichaelaGuzy